Cottesmore School was delighted to attend Tomorrow’s Engineers Robotic Challenge 2019-2020 competition in Hove, last week. The Lego Mindstorms event is open to all nationally and approximately 500 schools are involved. Cottesmore competed in the regional finals for Sussex against 11 other schools in the county. Cottesmore’s team comprised of 7 girls and boys, ranging from Year 6 to Year 8.
During the course of the day, children enjoyed 5 separate challenges, these included:
• The ‘Speed and Control Challenge’ - children were asked to design, build and program a robot to race in the fastest time.
• The ‘Robot Challenge’ – children were asked to design, build and program their Lego robots to complete 7 different challenges on the ‘challenge mat’.
• The ‘Project Presentation’- this particular challenge focused on climate change. Cottesmore’s team presented their project on glacial retreat.
• The ‘Team Work Challenge’ - each team was presented with a big box of Lego and asked to build a bridge with it.
• ‘Robot Design’ - each team was interviewed about their robot design in each challenge.
Cottesmore’s team was thrilled to be named winners in the ‘Robot Challenge’ by the judging panel that included Tomorrow’s Engineers and other companies with STEM related roles. In addition to winning the ‘Robot Challenge’, Cottesmore’s team also came 3rd in the ‘Speed and Control’ challenge.
Having attended this event previously, Cottesmore’s Head of Science Tana Purcell is well acquainted with the talent on show. Purcell said, “This was a fantastic opportunity for our children to embrace their love for robotics on a much wider scale”. She added, “I’m incredibly proud of the children’s enthusiasm and the creativity that they demonstrated during each challenge. To be named the winner in the ‘Robot Challenge’ is a fantastic achievement.”
To learn more about Cottesmore’s exciting science department, or to arrange a visit of the Pre-prep and Prep school, please contact the Admissions Department on 01293 520648; or by email: [email protected] Cottesmore’s next Open Morning will be held on Saturday 2nd May at 10am until 12pm.